Friday, January 9, 2009

What the...???

First of all, you need to know that I live in one of those "master communities"...our subdivision is divided into several smaller "villages" & also includes a couple apartment complexes...

So anyway, tonight, at around 8:30 or so, I'm driving home from (surprise! surprise!) Jordan's (crapfest of a) soccer game with Ben in the car. I pull into our neighborhood (the big one)... and am driving along, imagining the beautiful glass of red wine I'm going to enjoy when I get there. Out of the corner of my eye I think I see a boy, about Ben's age, splayed on the grass next to the curb... it looked like he had been a victim of a hit & run. Now, it took a few seconds to register this, then debate whether to a) keep driving & call 9-1-1, saving my son from seeing anything that might scar him for life or b) turn around, help the kid & call 9-1-1. I made a split-second decision & turned around. I didn't see the kid. So I went home thinking I had just imagined it.

I go home & start making dinner. About 20 minutes later, Michael & Jordan come home. He had given her a ride to the school to get her car, then they drove home separately. I guess when Jordan got out of her car, she ran to Michael's car, practically in tears, telling him she had seen a kid on the side of the road. So they got into Michael's car to see if they could help... surprise! surprise! The kid was gone. So they come in & start to tell me the story & I finished it for them.

When each of us had turned around, we noticed an older teenager climbing over a hill leading to one of the apartment complex. Apparently, he & the young kid were in cahoots playing a HORRIBLE prank! Who the hell would THINK to do such a thing? I 'm stunned & appalled! I wonder how many people DID call 9-1-1?! Scary stuff, I tell ya!

The one good thing to come out of this is that I had to have an extra glass of wine tonight, to calm my nerves *wink*.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I imagine this is the same group of little brats who did the same exact thing to me about a month ago. They threw their bike down and laid down next to it. Some poor sole in an expedition stopped and they got up and ran. This is probably the same group of little brats who act like they are going to jump in front of moving van when I am going down the same "said" road and the when I brake turn and walk the other way. And they are probably the same brats who flip my car off every time I drive that road & yell offensive sayings and otherwise terrorize the neighborhood. They need to be dealt with ..... I'm thinking this is happening just down from the entrance to your "hood" ...