Friday, April 3, 2009

The Day That Wasn't Field Day

Today was supposed to be my 13th(!!!) year volunteering at Field Day at Ben's school (before it was Ben's school it was Jordan's school & before that it was Megan's school, actually it was Megan's school first, then Megan AND Jordan's school, then just Jordan's school, then Ben's schoool, but I digress...) anyway, the sky didn't look so great this morning but when I called the school office this morning I was assured that Field Day would go on. After waiting for an hour & 1/2 in the music room, it was clear that Field Day would not go on. At least not until another day.

At first I was really bummed, but then I realized it's Friday, so you know what that means? Morning Movie!!! A bonus Morning Movie even! Since it was unexpected, I didn't do my usual research & I went to see a movie I didn't know anything about going in...


I liked it. Of course, I love love love going to my Morning Movie so much, it's very rare that I don't like one of the movies I see on those days. This one is a quirky comedy-drama with a fantastic cast. Alan Arkin is phenomenal, as always.

Tomorrow is our first Saturday without Michael. Jordan, Ben & I are heading over to the east coast to (are you ready for this?!) watch a soccer game. A big in-state rivalry FSU v. UF. This is slated to be a more successful trip than Jordan & my trip to Tallahassee to watch FSU play Auburn (soccer, duh?!) last weekend.

You see, even taking into account our stop in Gainesville to have dinner with Megan, it should NEVER take 7 hours to get to Tallahassee from Tampa (usually a 4 hour drive). The only thing worse than spending 7 hours in traffic is to arrive at your destination and upon checking the internet realize that the game you drove 7 hours to see HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL SUNDAY! We had to be back home for a mini high-school reunion in Clearwater on Sunday with some friends of mine, so we knew we would miss the game. Thankfully, the alumni game was still slated to go on at noon on Saturday, as scheduled, so we hit the hay disappointed but knowing we would at least see ONE game.

We leave our hotel Saturday morning in plenty of time to stop at our favorite Tally bagel shop on the way to FSU. Only to run into a freakin' parade blocking our route! Thankfully, Jordan has a great sense of direction (she didn't get that from me) & was able to get us to the university just after kick-off. Or so we thought. Due to the inclimate weather due to arrive later that day (the reason for the postponement of the Auburn game) , they apparently started the game early. We realized this when it ended 10 minutes after we sat down.

So we drove 11 hours (including the 4 hours to get home) to see 10 minutes of soccer. Oh! And I almost had a nervous breakdown when I got pulled over for speeding on the way home. Thankfully, I got off with a warning... the one thing that went right. (Sunday's mini reunion was fun...more on that later...)

I've checked the weather reports and I'm optimistic that tomorrow's trip will be better. Couldn't be worse. Right? Wait, don't answer that.

No comments: